Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Downfall of Experience-based Faith

"I had crises of faith...I thought you had to experience things if you want to know right from wrong. I'd go to Christian revivals and be moved by the Holy Spirit, and I'd go to rock concerts and feel the same fervor. Then I'd be told, 'That's the Devil's music! Don't partake in that!' I wanted to experience things religion said not to experience."

Calm down, ladies
Calm down, ladies

By the time he entered college, Pitt had scuttled his fundamentalist beliefs. "When I got untethered from the comfort of religion, it wasn't a loss of faith for me, it was a discovery of self," he says. "I had faith that I'm capable enough to handle any situation. There's peace in understanding that I have only one life, here and now, and I'm responsible."

--Parade Magazine, Brad Pitt Interview

This just shows that experience, while certainly valuable, isn't all its cracked up to be. If that's what you base your faith/beliefs on, its pretty thin soup. Ya need more to base your faith and beliefs on. The good news is that more is out there; we don't just have blind belief or experience.

What do you think about what Pitt said?

HT: Brett Kunkle at Stand to Reason

Labels: ,

Hollywood and God Roe IQ Test
ProLifeBlogs