Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My Sin of Racism

Hi. My name is Ed. I’m a white, Evangelical Christian, and I’m a racist.

OK, maybe I’m not a Racist in terms of the “big R” racist. But I nonetheless struggle at times with the sin of racism. In order to speak in more kindler, gentler terms (that is to say, allow me to minimize my sin), let’s just say that I have certain “racist tendencies.” In other words, at times, I prefer one race to another.

For me, these racist tendencies can clearly be seen in my affinity towards black people. I sometimes tell people, “I love black people.” And I do. That is where my racism lies. My preference towards black people, for instance, can be seen in my discrimination of friends. If given the choice between someone who is white, someone who is Asian, or someone who is black, and while holding all other variables constant, I would definitely prefer a new friend who is black. (Incidently, I would also have a propensity to choose an Asian over a white person.) This affinity is based strictly on the color of the other person's skin, and should therefore be accurately deemed racist.

To borrow the words of the late, great Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., whether choosing friends, or choosing employees, or choosing church leaders, my discrimination between people must not be based on “the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” The Scriptures make this same point. While referring to a segment of humanity whom God has chosen to receive the gift of salvation, the Bible in Colossians 3:11 states: “Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.” As a Christian, I must therefore repent entirely of these racist tendencies (sin) and acquire the mind and heart of God in this matter.

Labels: ,

Hollywood and God Roe IQ Test
ProLifeBlogs