Friday, October 03, 2008

Caught up in Election Mania

I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed by all the election news, the economy, the war. Everything is the most, the biggest, the worst, the absolute most important thing. So I needed this reminder, from the Anchoress:

I’m praying and fasting “that wisdom and light be brought to guide our nation in this election period, and that Thy will be done…” whatever that ends up being. I was a little appalled to get one missive from a lady who said she was Christian but was clearly in high-hand-wringing mode. Her worry: what if I encourage others to pray and fast “but we lose! If we lose it will not be good witness to the power of God! It will say God is defeated!”

My prayer is not for victory. It is for the very best outcome for the country, and for God’s will to be done. Our ways are not God’s way, nor our minds God’s mind...

So, let us not worry. Let us not wring our hands. For the Christian, anyway, I believe we are in a moment where the rubber meets the road. How do you respond to that? With trust that no matter what things seem like, that “all things work for good and to the Glory of God” or with wringing hands, depression and doubt?

If you are doubting…if you are thinking that only electoral victory - as defined by the world - will be a validation of either the existence of God, or His Intent, then you need to hunker down into scripture and get out of your own head. Do you believe that Christ is the Son of God, or do you not? If you do, do you really think that this election is all there is, and that a loss here is somehow static, and works to nothing in God’s purpose?

To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under the heaven.

You either believe that, or you don’t.

“Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.”

You either believe it, or you don’t.

But if you’re calling yourself a Christian, and you’re not believing it, then question what you say you believe.

Yes, I am praying; yes I am fasting. I am not doing these things for a “victory.” I’m doing it because I am in training. I’m taking the long-view, and understanding that nothing ends or begins on November 5 that has not already ended and begun...

I'm certainly not going to stop thinking about the issues and working to share important news and trying to persuade others of the Truth. But I think I need to take a breath, and be calm, and stop worrying, and trust. If you're feeling the same way, read the whole thing.

Labels: , , ,

Hollywood and God Roe IQ Test
ProLifeBlogs